Social Communication Groups Summer Camp: These one week camps for ages 5-11 years (rising K-5th grade) are based on the Social Thinking Methodology as developed by Michelle Garcia-Winner and use collaborative decision-making, problem solving and play to teach core concepts of social communication.
These camps use a methodology designed for individuals with average language skills, but weak social communication skills – which may also look like impulse control, organizational difficulties, or challenges with problem solving and figurative language.
About the Social Communication Camps – 2019
- Camp is available the weeks of June 17, June 24 or July 15
- Monday – Friday from 9am-noon
- Children are encouraged to bring a picnic lunch to eat and socialize on the playground for 30-45 minutes after camp ends
- Located at the Greensboro Day School Cottage next to the Lower School. Click here to view a map of the campus.
- Camp location is a small and inviting home converted to classroom space. It is separate from the main school building. “The Cottage” is located near the intersection of Lawndale Dr. and Lake Brandt Rd. The Cottage is a cozy environment, well-equipped to host small children and their families. Diaper changing facilities are provided as well as a sitting area, kitchen, and of course lots of room for play! There is an adjacent playground.
- Maximum group size of 4
- Each week currently allows for 1 group of 4 campers, but Kim has the ability to add another session that runs concurrently if needed (an additional SLP would run the extra group with a volunteer)
- Certified speech-language pathologist runs the entirety of the group with 1-2 college aged helpers that have an interest or experience in the field (special/education, speech-language pathology or psychology)
- Daily parent wrapup (from 11:50am – noon) will give you a quick overview of activities and your child’s progress
- Daily letter with list of camp activities and (optional) extension activities for your home that you can do immediately or in the future
What sets Kim apart is that she carefully groups students based on current communication skill level so the group is able to move at an appropriate pace for each member. While the children will do fun “camp” type activities, this program is 3 hours of therapy. It may look like camp—art and science projects, snack time, in/outdoor games, but it is done at a pace appropriate to the participants so they can receive support and feedback dynamically. Social exchanges move too quickly to implement learned skills unless you’ve been practicing them at the same time! Kim believes that parent education and involvement is key!
Cost and Pricing
- Includes week of camp, plus a pre-camp mini-assessment consisting on an observation at your child’s current school and parent intake. Parents will receive a brief summary of their child’s current play level.
- $100 non-refundable deposit is required before the mini-assessment; balance due 5/1/19. If you cancel before 6/1/19, you will receive a refund of $450. There are no refunds after 6/1/19.
- Kim in the process of securing the funds for scholarships (up to $200 may be awarded for a camper with financial need). Requests for scholarship applications can be made when registering.
About Kim Lewis, The Activity Tailor
I provide pediatric speech-language therapy services to students typically in their home or school setting. During the past several years I’ve begun to focus on social communication skills (specifically using the methodology developed by Michelle Garcia-Winner) and am now offering summer camps in addition to individual/small group therapy.